Resistance forces kill four in attack on Pyu Saw Htee in Pakokku

At least four people were killed when local defence forces attacked a gathering of Pyu Saw Htee militia members in Magway Region’s Pakokku Township last week, according to resistance sources.

The incident occurred last Monday in the village of Western Bhone Kan, where a leader of the pro-military Pyu Saw Htee had called a meeting to form a new chapter of the group.

Hundreds of resistance fighters from 15 allied defence forces took part in the assault, a member of one of the groups involved told Myanmar Now.

“We attacked them at around noon with both light and heavy weapons, and they retaliated in kind. The clash lasted about 20 minutes. Our goal was just to disrupt their meeting,” said Ashay Gyi, an officer of the Earthquake People’s Defence Force (PDF).

He added that locals acting as guides assisted the resistance forces, enabling them to directly target the Pyu Saw Htee members.

“The ones who were killed were almost certainly all members of the Pyu Saw Htee,” he said, adding that eight others were also injured.

Bhone Kan is divided into two villages, eastern and western, both of which are regarded as Pyu Saw Htee strongholds. There are usually around 30 soldiers stationed in each village, according to residents.

On Thursday, junta forces and Pyu Saw Htee members reportedly captured and killed two PDF fighters during a raid on another village in the area, according to Ashay Gyi. No further details were available at the time of reporting.

There were also reports that two women were shot and killed on Thursday for violating an order forbidding motorcyclists from carrying passengers.

The order, which also stated that motorcycles could only be used during daylight hours from 8am and 6pm, was issued because motorcycles had been used in the attack in Western Bhone Kan, according to locals.

Myanmar Now was unable to independently confirm these claims.

Min Zaw Oo, the Pyu Saw Htee leader who called the meeting in Western Bhone Kan, was injured earlier this month during a clash between regime and resistance forces near the village of Kyauk Sa Yit Kan, according to resistance sources.

Related Articles

Back to top button