Twante NLD supporter dies in custody two days after her arrest

A woman detained following an attack on junta-appointed administrators in Yangon Region’s Twante Township late last month died after two days in custody, according to her family.

The victim, 40-year-old Khin Myo Nwe, was one of at least 50 people arrested over a seven-day period in connection with the shooting death of four local administrators, a suspected junta informant and their driver on August 22.

Her family said that she was taken in for questioning on August 27 and declared dead two days later. No cause of death was ever given, they added.

A friend of the family said that they were permitted to see her body at the Mingaladon Military Hospital in Yangon on August 30, but only under strict conditions.

“They weren’t allowed to see her injuries, and their phones were taken away from them. We still don’t know when the body will be released for cremation,” the friend said.

The mother of four from the village of Zee Phyu Khone was said to be a strong supporter of the National League for Democracy (NLD), the party ousted from power by last year’s military coup.

According to local residents, two men also died in custody following their arrest last month—Kyaw Oo, 30, of Zee Phyu Khone, and Gaung Gyi, also 30, from the neighbouring village of Kywel Thalin.

No further details regarding the victims was available at the time of reporting.

Kyi Aye, a 40-year-old woman who was arrested at the same time as Khin Myo Nwe, was also reportedly admitted to hospital in Twante after suffering severe injuries while in detention, sources said.

“We heard that they burned an empty plastic bottle and dripped hot plastic onto her body. Her legs were also badly beaten with iron rods,” said one local, adding that the woman’s current condition and whereabouts were unknown.

At least 10 of the people arrested in the township last month are still in regime custody, according to residents.

Related Articles

Back to top button